Heroes of Midhgardhur
Ulfsey, or “The Isle of the Wolf,” is a small island on the river Torni that is said to be the ultimate boundary between Svialand and “Bjarmaland” or Permia. On this no-man’s-land island is a society of vargar – outlaws or “wolves.” Many of these outlaws have taken this literally, becoming berserkers of the wolf-totem (see Berserker Animal Cults for details). The barbarian society of Ulfsey seems to outsiders to be anarchy, though if one looks closely, there is an order – but it is the order of wolves, not men, as the weak obey the strong, and the strong dominate the weak.
Corruption: +3, Crime: +4, Economy: -5, Law: -7, Lore: 0, Society: -5
Qualities: Insular, Notorious
Government: Anarchy (ruled by Ulfhedhnar chieftains)
Population: 143 (90% human, 5% lytlingar, 5% other – mostly dvergar)
- Borgny (yfirkona – chieftainess) – CN, Bully, fickle, suffers from terrible indigestion and so avoids feasts. Filthy appearance.
- Hrafnhildur (yfirkona – chieftainess) – CG, Pyromaniac, easily intoxicated, believes her dreams are prophetic. Fat.
- Ketill (yfirmadhur – chieftain) – CG, Black sheep of his family, outlawed for killing his own brother, frequently depressed. Long black hair.
- Kveldulfur (yfirmadhur – chieftain) – N, Bastard of noble blood, believer in signs and portents. Grey eyes.
- Styr Odhinsgodhi (yfirmadhur – chieftain and godhi – priest of Odhinn) – N – grim, humorless. Bald head.
Base Value: 650 gp., Purchase Limit: 3750 gp., Spellcasting: 3rd
Note that armor other than hide armor – made from the hide of wolves – is not available in this village. The barbarians of Ulfsey are Ulfhedhnar, berserkers who eschew armor in favor of the protection of their wolf-totem and their god Odhinn.
Minor Items: 2d4, Medium Items: 1d4, Major Items: -
- Ulfsholl – “Wolf’s Hall” – The great drinking-hall of the chieftains of Ulfsey dominates the great hill at the center of the island. The hall is huge, but not well-maintained. Only those welcomed by a chieftain may drink here. Others must seek out a tavern.
- The Temple of Odhinn (Odhinshof) – At a northern point of the island, under a great oak tree still used for sacrifices “in the old way” (i.e. by hanging), stands a hof dedicated to Odhinn, patron of berserkers and Ulfhedhnar. The chieftain Styr is the godhi here.
- The Wolf’s Head Inn – The only real inn on the island. Most visitors to the island stay with a host as a guest. For everyone else – there’s the Wolf’s Head, run by Gunnvor of Ulfsey.
- The Howling Tower of Ulfsey – a mysterious tower on the southern point of the island, possibly intended as a lighthouse, but shunned by all inhabitants of the island. On rare occasions, strange howls can be heard echoing down from the tower.