Heroes of Midhgardhur
Lore of the Stars
Lore of the Stars
- The Sun – Identified with the sun-goddess Sunna, pursued by Skoll, the wolf prophesied to devour the sun at the end of the world.
- The Moon – Identified with the moon-god Mani, pursued by Hati the Managarm – the Moon Wolf who is prophesied to devour the moon at the end of the world.
- The North Star – Known as Leidharstjarna (“Lodestar”) and also as Thorsnjal (Thorr’s nail). Just as the central pillar of a Northern home is dedicated to Thorr and has nails driven into it, so the house of the heavens revolves around this “pillar,” with the star set by Thorr like a nail driven into a pillar.
- Asabardagi ("Battlefield of the Gods) – Corresponding to our Auriga, near Ulfskeptur (Hyades) – said to be the field on which the final battle will be fought.
- Odhinsvagn (Odhinn‘s Wagon or Wain) – corresponds to our Ursa Major or “Big Dipper.” Sometimes also held to be Thorr’s chariot – Karlathorsvagn, Thorsvagn, Karlsvagn, or such. Odhinn is called vagna verr (“wagon’s lord”) and valdur vagnbrautar (“ruler of the wagon’s road”), as his wagon or chariot travels the road of the heavens.
- Freyjuvagn (Freyja‘s Wagon) or Thorsstoll (Thorr’s Throne or Seat) – corresponds to our Ursa Minor or “Little Dipper”.
- Auvandill’s Toe – Corresponds to our Rigel, a bright blue star believed to be the frozen toe of a giant names Aurvandill that broke off. Thorr placed it in the heavens.
- Thjazi’s Eyes – Corresponding to our Castor and Pollux, these are the eyes of the giant Thjazi, who helped kidnap the goddess Idhunn, and was killed in the rescue attempt, the father of Skadhi. Depending on the story, either Odhinn or Thorr placed Thjazi’s eyes in the heavens as stars.
- Freyjugjordh (Freyja‘s Girdle – also called "Frigg’s Distaff") – Corresponding to our Orion’s Belt, sometimes said to represent the Brisingamen
- Lokabrenna (Loki’s Torch) – Corresponding to our Sirius, the star of the hottest parts of summer. When Loki brings his torch near the earth, it scorches and ruins . . .
- Ulfskeptur (“The Mouth of the Wolf”) – Corresponding to our Hyades. Said to be the jaws of a wolf like Garm or Fenrir by the road to Hel (Helsvegur).