Heroes of Midhgardhur
A trading post along the Vylga river, named for a shared Vylgisk and Ningul word (qazan) for a cauldron or pot – according to some legends because a former ruler of the area dropped a copper pot into the river here, according to others because the hill on which the town is built resembles an upturned cauldron or pot. A cavern under this hill is said to be the lair of a powerful Imperial dragon, an Underworld Dragon, whose image appears on the royal arms of Kazan.
Kazan exists mostly to service travelers on the Vylga river. Its population is very mixed – about 45% Vylgar, 45% Ningul, and 10% “others.” Their is an imbalance of power in Kazan, as the Vylgar control the city, and the Ningul and others have few rights. These Vylgar are independent in theory, though they certainly have a healthy respect for the Khan of the Rys, who wields more power than anyone else in the region. Among the “others” are a number of creatures from farther east, such as Kami, Oni, and occasionally Imperial Dragons . . .
N Small City
Corruption: +3, Crime: -1, Economy: -1, Law: -1, Lore: +3, Society: -5
Qualities: Insular, Notorious, Prosperous, Strategic Location (on the Vylga River)
Disadvantages: Hunted (dragons and oni)
Government: Overlord (Boyar)
Population: 5561 (45% Vylgar, 45% Ningul, 10% other)
- Boyar Bogdan Kazan – hereditary ruler of Kazan, from the founding dynasty.
- Haka – allegedly the name of the dragon that dwells under the great hill upon which Kazan was founded; the name is said to signify “the grave.”
- Hisame – a reclusive noble of Kazan, reputed to be of Ningul descent, whose estate is guarded by terra cotta warrior constructs and undead.
Base Value: 6000 gp., Purchase Limit: 50,000 gp., Spellcasting: 6th
Minor Items: 4d4, Medium Items: 3d4, Major Items: 1d6
- Hisame Estate – A fortified estate on the north end of the city, overlooking the river, said to be the estate of a nobleman of Ningul descent named Hisame, who is also rumored to be an ice yai oni.
- Kazan Kremlin – The fortified palace of the boyar.
- Lair of Haka – The entrance to the caverns under the hill upon which the city was founded, facing west away from the river. The caverns are believed to be the lair of an underworld dragon known as Haka