Heroes of Midhgardhur
The world of Hel, the goddess of death – the Underworld below. Those who die ignominious deaths, who are beyond redemption – murderers, betrayers, rapists, and such – descend into Hel’s halls upon their deaths.
Hel’s world lies far below the world of men, below even the dark world of Svartalfaheimur. There is a vast wall surrounding the realm of Hel, though there is a gate through which the dead may pass. Sites within Hel’s kingdom include:
- Eljudhnir – A feasting-hall wherein resides Baldur, the slain god, awaiting his resurrection at Ragnarok.
- Nasheimur – “Homeland of the Dead” – where the dishonored dead “live.”
- Nastrond – The “Corpse-Strand” – a hall for this dishonored dead, with serpents entwined throughout the walls and ceiling, dripping with their venom.
- Nidh-hoggur’s Lair – The lair of the primordial dragon Nidh-hoggur, “Corpse-chewer,” who tears at the bodies of the dishonored dead, and gnaws at the roots of Yggdrasill.
- Volva’s Grave – The burial mound of the Volva, a prophetess among the dead. It lies near a gate in the Eastern end of Helheimur.
- The Well of Urdhur – Near Nidh-hoggur’s Lair lies the well of the Norn Urdhur (called Wyrdh in Ethelland), also known as the Well of Fate or “Urdhabrunnur”. Here the Norns tend the roots of Yggdrasill.
In game terms, Helheimur is an Outer Plane.
Helheimur has the following traits:
- Divinely Morphic: Hel and some other deities who reside here can alter Helheimur at will. This would seem to include Baldur, who has his feast-hall Eljudhnir here despite being confined to this plane following his death.
- Strongly Evil-Aligned
- Enhanced Magic: Spells and spell-like abilities with the Death or Evil descriptors are enhanced.
- Impeded Magic: Spells and spell-like abilities with the Good descriptor are impeded.
- Petitioners: Petitioners in Helheimur are the dishonored dead. As such, regardless of alignment, they become “hunted” (though the preferred term in Helheimur is “dishonored”). These dishonored dead may become Daemons, Devils, Demons, Shapeless, etc. after their own inclinations, eventually. See this page for details.
Helheimur is home to Daemons, Demons, and Devils. Some Proteans and Qlippoth are also found here, but they are believed to originate in Jotunheimur.